Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 9

6. Discuss whether you think your favorite magazines define you primarily as a consumer or as a citizen.  Do you think magazines have a responsibility to do both?  What can they do promote responsible citizenship?  My favorite magazine is ESPN the Magazine.  I think it defines me primarily as a citizen.  I feel like it does not have too many ads in it.  It also can get after some very big issues in sports.  It educates you in the whole world of sports.  I think magazines have a responsibility to define you as a citizen and  make sure you are properly educated in whatever the magazine is about.  Now they will have to think of us as consumers as well because they have to make money but that shouldn’t be what they define us as.  I think they can promote responsible citizenship by giving unbiased reports and just give all the facts.  They need to let the people decide for themselves
7.  Do you think the Internet will eventually displace magazines?  Why or why not?  I think they might but I think it will be a while before it happens.  Magazines are nice because they are very portable.  You can bring them anywhere.  People bring them on planes and you can’t be online while on a plane.  Doctor’s offices always have a bunch of magazines out for you to read also.  I doubt that they will put up a bunch of computers with the magazines up for you to read.  Plus, a lot of guys like to bring a magazine to the bathroom to read while the handle their business.  I doubt they will bring a laptop in there.  That might look like they are about to do something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment